RSS

Friday, March 26, 2010

IPL and Nostalgia

Wow two posts within hours of each other.

The IPL match yesterday made me remember and re-live everything that I so love about this city:

1. It was cool inside the stadium. I know its incredibly hot in the sun, but the temperature in the shade is always so much better.
2. There were a respectable number of Delhi flags in the stadium. All in all, Delhi was well represented. Its certainly one of the larger representations of the 'other' team which I have seen in a home stadium (possibly with the exception of Bombay matches).
3. The songs they played at the stadium included 'Mundiya toh Bach gayi', 'Kaala Chashma', 'Dhan Tana', 'Jinke Marina', similar funky Kannada songs (including that really popular Rajkumar song who's name I know but don't know how to spell), 'Muqabala' (the Hindi version), 'We Will Rock You' and 'Sweet Child of Mine'. I mean where else will you get that kind of diversity?!
4. The sun setting over the stadium looked beautiful. The colour of the sky was that brilliant turquoise which only the Bangalore sky seems to be able to achieve. (in a city I mean, this doesn't include hill stations and other pretty places). Truly, Bangalore has the best sunsets.
5. Anil Kumble. SO VERY HOT.
6. Looking at the other people in my stand. There were several Hindi speakers and what not. But they were wearing red and gold.

And that, in essence is Bangalore. Diverse, South Indian, porki, cultured, drunk, sophisticated, Indian, Westernized, beautiful, overcrowded....but hostile? Polluted? Conservative? Never, not as I have known it or will continue to know it. I cannot believe it is just three months more. I realise now that I will miss my Bangalore. A lot.

2 comments:

madhu said...

that's a nice post..i expected sumthin different seeing the word IPL...but ya truly nothin like bangalore..am getting back soon too..got a job :D

Divya said...

Wow nice! I'm pretty much out of here for a while now..after college i.e.