RSS

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Reviews and General Angst

I was re-reading 'Two Disappearances', one of the most beautiful and haunting stories I have ever read; the kind that unsettles you and fills you with some indescribable longing. Reading the comments on the talented Mr. Mami's story, I realised that right after he posted the final part in the 8 part story, I had commented on it saying that I wanted to review the story.

I still do, but words fail me honestly. So I will settle for the second part of this post's title.

Living in B-School has sadly made me uncomfortable with spending too much time by myself. I say sadly because I somewhat miss those law-school moments where I used to get a Maggi from Chetta with extra masala (man I really miss Chetta Maggi, it features in a previous post also) and cuddle up with that Nora Roberts novel, 'An Equal Music' or 'Like Water for Chocolate', reading them for the nth time. With the multiple interactions and general overdose of human company that law school sometimes imposed on you, I used to crave those 'loner' times.

In B-School however, human interaction is more relaxed, less complicated and somehow more enjoyable. It is less enforced and completely unemotional. Debates are on purely third party subjects which affect no one in particular and end with most people laughing about the raised voices just moments before. Consequently, I have met some persons I love spending time with; and who I would be quite happy to spend all my time with.

Those who know me probably know this is a huge admission to make on my part. I even feel a little ashamed saying it! And hence, nights left to myself make me somewhat angsty. This is where 'Two Disappearances' came in. With some tea (which I made) and choice Carnatic music (chiefly ragams from Mami's stories - too much influence I say!), my angst made me immerse myself in the story all the more and by the end of it, I had become too lost in the unreal world of Carnatic music, temples and wandering musicians, isolated romantic hill station bungalows and evocative photography to feel very much angsty any more.

A fairly difficult day awaits tomorrow and with all the conflicting emotions, I have a headache. The main purpose of this post was to thanks 'Two Disappearances' in some measure for becoming my 'An Equal Music' equivalent (I miss that book; should bring it here). And to pay a tribute to that time of my life when coming back to an empty room with a plate of Maggi and the prospect of a good read and some room-made chai were all that I wanted. Today, I rediscovered that time.


No comments: