RSS

Friday, June 12, 2009

I have never been particularly interested in cricket, but I have always had the highest regard for Rahul Dravid, as a sportsman and an ambassador for the once 'gentleman's game'. Today I had gone to a place near his house with my Mom for some work. Suddenly, my Mom said, "Hey, isn't that Dravid's wife?". I saw her standing on the pavement, with the newborn kid over her shoulder. Moments later, Dravid himself appeared holding his elder son's hand. They crossed the road, to his car..some Hyundai SUV. He settled his wife and kids into the car and then got into the driver's seat himself and drove off. There was no pomp, no security, no chauffeur, no adoring fans, nothing. Just him and his family, going for a visit to the doctor most probably, for his second kid. There was a great pleasure in seeing someone hailed as one the greatest batsmen and who has been captain of the Indian team, as a normal and distinguished member of the public. Dravid was as he always seems to have been, simple, unassuming and slightly perplexed by what was happening around him. I couldn't stop smiling after this incident.

1 comment:

madhu said...

Nice piece..wil read more of them...btw thks for the comment on mine!