RSS

Sunday, August 2, 2009

O lalala Oo le O

I am a very very nostalgic person. Funnily, I don't get emotional at momentous events. I did not cry when school ended..I doubt I'll cry when law school ends either. But sometimes good periods of life re-visit me like a stomach ache, making me long for 'the good old days'. Something which brings up very powerful waves of nostalgia in me is music, for the simple reason that it has seen me through life. 'Novocaine for the Soul' - The Eels, reminds me of my 12th pre-boards and reading 'Going Solo' by Roald Dahl. 'Don't Leave Home' by Dido always reminds me of Math tuition. 'Bedshaped' - Keane recalls the tense days before the class 12 board exams. Random songs, random memories - but all important nonetheless.

I recently saw Jimi Hendrix performing at Woodstock on Fox History and this performance, more effectively than anything else has fully made me realise that this is my last year in law school. In fact, most rock songs by artists who I have listened to extensively at one point of time have this effect on me these days. The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd etc have all become constant companions. However, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, CSNY and many of the other Woodstock artists remind me, in an emotional, stomach ache-esque way of 2nd and 3rd year in law school. Of all those beer soaked and smoke filled hazy evenings at Mojos and Pecos. Of getting soaked in the rain to watch Thermal and a Quarter perform live. Of crying on Surya terrace about love and love lost. Those were the true carefree years, when I was (un)happy and drunk, obsessed with Hippies and Counter-Cultures, thoroughly unmotivated and having a wonderful time. I know this is in direct contrast to my previous post, but yes..there was such a time, and I loved it.

I especially miss those evenings at Mojos, which have greatly reduced in frequency and the unique set of individuals who accompanied me to the same. I in fact hadn't realised how much I truly miss those evenings, till I watched Jimi Hendrix in concert that day and surprisingly felt a lump in my throat. Of course, the times have changed now. I am extremely wary of slipping into that mid law school apathy again and have pulled myself out of the seeming 'bottom'. The nature of evening outings has changed..as has the company, all equally enjoyable and entertaining. Jazz music is now the preferred choice. I have been meaning to blog about how 'New York, New York' is slowly becoming one of my all time favourite songs; and how it reminds me of one of the best nights of my life at Opus, with three of my favourite people. Yes, I am happy now as well. Happier in fact, because my life has taken direction and because I finally feel complete as a person (3rd year did produce the most number of 'I hate myself' entries).

Yet, it is nice to let nostalgia engulf you every now and then. A cheers and bottoms up to Pecos, watery beer, classic rock and the eclectic company and freewheeling lifestyle; before we all started taking each other too seriously.

1 comment:

Bhavya said...

Yeah, even I do the association thing a lot. PG Wodehouse reminds me of strawberry and vanilla ice cream. 'Duende' reminds me of my mother. Summer of '69 reminds me of a childhood crush. Sweet Child O'Mine reminds me of Mess block.