RSS

Monday, April 26, 2010

Well strangely enough the only song that has managed to move me to tears is Din Dhal Jaye from Guide. I happened to hear it during that wonderful weekend at Asma's place, where at approximately 6.30 in the morning it played in the Retro Hits program on some obscure channel called E24. The song stayed in my head and though a long day involving a hep breakfast, running around looking for a mechanic for Grissy (my car) and other such things put it temporarily out of my mind; I found that when I lay down to sleep I could think of nothing else.

There is something about the way Rafi has sung that song, which transcends all language barriers, if any. I couldn't remember the lyrics; I don't even know what dhal means..and yet, like Raasathi (the only other song that has moved me this much, just short of making me cry) there is something intensely sad and unearthly about the song that filled me with a strange kind of longing. I finally switched on my laptop and buffered the song on Youtube. The moment the opening line was sung, I started crying and continued to do so till the song ended. I still can't describe what it does to me; just thinking about the song and humming it brings a lump to my throat. The understated emotion in Rafi's voice and the incredible melody of the song is just so beautiful. It can hardly be expressed in words in fact. There's this constant need to listen to the song and get lost in its music and Rafi's voice - the way he manages to convey so much without goind over the top (like Sonu Nigam or something)..resulting in an actual, almost physical pain when I'm not listening to it. Its been a while since I've been obsessed with a song, but I am quite taken in with this one. Beautiful, magical stuff.

4 comments:

Bhavya said...

yeah.. it is a very haunting song. I think apart from being arguably the best song by Rafi, Dev Anand's portrayal of the lover who has lost love is also very moving.

Divya said...

Yes I love the picturisation as well..its really well shot . And the best fact is its not over the top at any point. Man these new songs and videos are so jarring in comparison.

The one who sets the sun said...

Dev. ahah. Din dhal gaya hai. Stop making movies :P

madhu said...

yep brilliant song...rafi is the best