RSS

Thursday, January 8, 2009

International Law

I am so bored and sleepy right now, even fantastic lines like 'the civilising force of hypocrisy' found if you look hard enough in (in other words study) international law articles are not inspiring me. Of course, it is 3:20 in the morning so I have a RIGHT to feel this way!

That's a really cool line though and deserves a blog entry to itself (one more of my contributions to the body of literature in IL), but this is not that because right now my brain is too clogged up to process anything much. I also had my IL viva the other day. My IL project is on Bosnia v. Serbia, basically dealing with alleged claims of genocide that Bosnia had against Serbia. As part of the Serbian counter submissions to Bosnia's submissions was this creepy poem found in a Boanian paper:
Dear Mother, I'm going to plant willows
We'll hang Serbs from them
Dear Mother I'm going to sharpen knives
We'll soon fill pits again

Its shocking that so much hatred can exist and for no real reason. As I was deeply moved by this poem (and also because I didn't really want to do my project), I googled Bosnia and Serbia for images of both. They happen to be stunningly pretty places with lovely, picturesque hamlets..almost honeymoon destination worthy (presumably these are not the war stricken zones). Its pretty sad that they don't like each other. May be they should appoint women presidents / prime ministers and then refer to my post on this to solve all their problems. Apparently these places have also been reduced to abject poverty due to this prolonged conflict. But do white people really know what poverty is? In Bill Bryson's book 'The Lost Continent" (really delighful read, highly reccomended if you are fascinated by small town America) he says that most of the 'white poor' in America own a car, and that too is usually bought first hand. Then how can they really be poor? I think these guys should coin a separate word to refer to their sense of poverty..something like Pobunolinththiwor (Poor-but-not-like-in-the-third-world) or Capoor (poor with a car). And then whether they have a car or not should be the starting point of their poverty line. By now you have probably concluded that I should make too many contributions to international policy..I have also conlcuded the same thing but I think the world could do with some humour and innovative solutions. But this is all just random theorising, its time to get back to the real (read boring) theories.

No comments: