RSS

Friday, December 14, 2007

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
I'm not very attracted to poetry, I can't fathom it most of the time. But this particular poem by J R R Tolkein, composed supposedly by Bilbo Baggins, that indefatigable old hobbit for his friend 'Strider' otherwise know as Aragorn, really captured my imagination. The beauty of the verses and the sense of glory, endurance and noble purpose that they convey sums up the spirit of Lord of the Rings to a T.

I don't know if have locus posting this after Lord of the Bling, but who cares. I love LOTR and will always be inspired by it :)

4 comments:

Vipul Nanda said...

I love the second line - not all those who wander are lost. It just strikes right at the heart of those many times where one just wanders aimlessly and how good one feels at the end of it. It also plays into the idea that many of those whom we imagine to be wandering aimlessly are instead being rather purposeful and efficient.

Sigh. I need to read it again, I do.

Divya said...

I know...he brings out the whole theme of 'people are not what they seem to be' so effectively in this poem...it gives so much hope...im re-reading it, whenever i go home in weekends..am scared i'll lose it if i bring it here, its too precious

Vipul Nanda said...

If we were to leave everything precious at home, what would we be left with where we were?

Divya said...

well i have the e-book..not the same.but its something