RSS

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Of Sunsets,Twilights and Birds

A time for introspection...always evenings...usually between 5 and 6 pm when the light just starts to dim, a breeze blows and the birds fly home. Their calls fill the air as trees and bushes wave lazily and the wind kisses my cheek. A red glow in the horizon; my favourite sunsets are the ones in summer usually where a few clouds in the sky reflect the orange light of the setting sun such that a whole world is bathed with this orange glow. I sit on a bench, looking at nothing in particular (here I had to settle for second best, the first two prime introspection locations were occupied by couples)..I try to figure things out...Life's going well for me. A bad project, an excellent viva..and now the closest I've ever come to getting an O in law school...inspiring...as many times before, I resolve to work..only this time, its tinged with a true desire to make something of the opportunity that has been handed out to me. I pray people don't pass by. I don't want to talk to them. The invariable question. Why you sitting here alone? I'm not alone dear, my invisible friend Pingu is right next to me, here shall I introduce you? Really, why ask such questions...I don't mind being seen alone, I just don't want to answer to anyone for it...
I message someone I've been thinking of a lot..no reply...I wonder how that person can like me, with all my flaws and eccentricities...amazing. I think again. I've lost some people forever in the past six months, some people who I thought I could never have fought with because they seemed so simple and un-complicated..like me. Yet, I've gained some people too, which more than makes up for everything. Life's like that, nothing is permanent anyway.....you get slapped in the face but you snap out of it, you recover. And you discover facets about other things which you were blind to. In my case, I certainly did....
I sit some more, I sigh...I look at the birds..I think of Daphne du Maurier's story...I dismiss it...Mug Noodles, closed eyes, silent cell phone, smile on my face, thoughts swirling in my head ultimately growing tired and fading out...not complete silence but a semi-peaceful state...Life is good.....

1 comment:

Vipul Nanda said...

I love the way you've described the sunset-feeling. That need to be alone, but connect with something greater than yourself. Nice. :-)